In 1831 Florance Young's son, Charles Allen Young and his partner Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge bought the Ram Brewery from the Trittons. The purchase included 80 pubs, many of them still Young's houses today. Thus began an association with the Young family that outlasted all the previous owners.
The new partnership suffered a serious setback in 1832 when a disastrous fire destroyed most of the brewhouse, but it was quickly rebuilt and in 1835 a new beam engine was erected inside the brewery. It is thought to be the oldest working beam engine of its kind in the world still in working condition and in its original location. It and its sister engine built in 1867, provided steam power in the brewery right up until 1976.
Young & Bainbridge bought a porter brewery, but by 1864 production had turned to lighter and more sparkling beers and the first pints of what was to become Young's Bitter were being brewed.
Charles Allen Young died in 1855, and his son Charles Florance Young entered the partnership. Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge was succeeded by his nephew, Herbert in 1873. In 1882 another fire, started in the offices, caused extensive damage to part of the brewery and the Ram Inn. Both were rebuilt the following year. This was followed shortly afterwards in 1883 by the sudden dissolution of the Young and Bainbridge partnership. Herbert Bainbridge had run off with Charles Young's wife!
Charles carried on the business alone as Young & Co. However, when he died in 1890, his wish was the formation of a private limited company - Young & Co.'s Brewery Limited, with his widow, now forgiven, and children as the principal shareholders.